April 30, 2008

For the love of books

Anyone who knows me well, or who has read much of my blog, knows that I love books. I love to read them, to look at them, to hold and smell and feel them. I love the typesetting and layout, the covers and jackets, the thickness of the paper. I've even spent part of my life making a living off making books, first working for a religious publisher (Fortress Press) and now working freelance. And while I am of course interested in various technological advances regarding the dissemination of information (I love to read blogs, for instance), I would be panicked and grief-stricken if the book in its current form were to go away. So I was heartened (though not surprised) to read this great piece in the Chicago Tribune (HT: Scot McKnight at JesusCreed):
http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-0420_bookfutureapr20,1,4796966.column

Enjoy.

No comments: